What is EWS certificate ?
EWS certificate is an income and asset certificate issued to the citizens belonging to the economically weaker sections of the society (EWS category under General category). EWS certificate is just like an income certificate and should not be confused with caste certificate.
Economically Weaker Section (EWS) in Assam is a subcategory of people belonging to the General Category having an annual family income less than ₹6 lakhs and who absolutely do not belong to any category such as SC/ST/OBC/MBC.
Eligibility Criteria for EWS Certificate in Assam:
Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose family has gross annual income below Rs. 6.00 lakh (Rupees Six lakh only) are to be identified as EWSs for benefit of reservation.
Also persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWS, irrespective of the family income:
- 15 Bigha of agricultural land and above in the rural area
- 1 Bigha of residential land and above in the rural area
- 1.5 Katha of land in notified Municipal Corporation/ Municipal Board/ Town Committee Area
- House of built-up areas more than 1000 sq.ft and above in notified Municipal Corporation/ Municipal Board/ Town Committee Area
* The property held by a “Family” in different locations of different places/cities would be clubbed while applying the land or property holding test to determine EWS status.
* The term “Family” for this purpose will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.
Income and Asset Certificate Issuing Authority And Verification Of Certificate:
- The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by the Circle Officer or Circle Officer (A) of the Revenue circle where the candidate and/or her/his family normally resides.
- The Income and Asset Certificate issued by any one of the following authorities (given below) in the prescribed format (given below) shall only be accepted as proof of candidate’s claim as belonging to EWS:-
* The Officer who issues the certificate would do the same after carefully verifying all relevant documents following due process as prescribed.
* The crucial date for submitting income and asset certificate by the candidate may be treated as the closing date for receipt of application for the post, except in cases where crucial date is fixed otherwise.
* The appointing authorities should, in the offer of appointment to the candidates claiming to
be belonging to EWS, include the following clause:-
“The appointment is provisional and is subject to the Income and Asset Certificate being verified through the proper channels and if the verification reveals that the claim to belong to EWS is fake/false the services will be terminated forthwith without assigning any further reasons and without prejudice to such further action as may be taken under the provisions of the Indian Penal Code for production of fake/false certificate.”
The appointing authority should verify the veracity of the Income and Asset Certificate submitted by the candidate through the certificate issuing authority.
Documents to submitted for Income and Asset Certificate:
- Voter ID card or Citizenship Certificate of self or parents
- PAN card of self or parents
- Birth Certificate issued by Competent authority/Admit card of the certificate of Madhyamik or equivalent examination
- Pay slip of Self/Parents
- Income Certificate from prescribed authoritues
- Residential Certificate
- RoR/Parcha/Registered Deed
- Certificate in support of sub-caste from Pradhan of Gram Panchayat, Chairman of Muncipalities, Councillor of Muncipal Corporations
Authorities to issue Income and Asset Certificate:
(i) District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
(ii) Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
(iii) Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar and
(iv) Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.
Validity of EWS Certificate
Income and asset certificates will be valid for a specific period of time. The validity of EWS certificate is decided by the designated authority of the states. However, the validity of EWS certificate is generally one year from the date of the issue. Before using the EWS certificate for the purpose of admission or recruitment, applicants must check whether the income certificate is valid or not.
Releated Questions :
1.What is full form of EWS?
Economically Weaker Section (EWS)
2.What is the processing time for EWS certificate?
The processing time for the issue of EWS certificate varies state to state. Generally, it takes the processing time of maximum 21 days from the date of submission of application. To know the exact processing time, you must visit the concerned issuing authority of your state.
3.I belong to the OBC category; am I eligible to apply for EWS certificate?
No, you are not eligible as EWS certificate is only issued to persons who are covered under the 10% reservation only in the general category.
4. How to get EWS certificate?
You can submit it at your tehsildar office or at the designated issuing authority or at the nearest CSC center.
5. What is the validity of EWS certificate?
EWS certificate is issued for a particular financial year hence the validity of this certificate is expected to be of one year from the date of issue.
Application Format of Income and Asset Certificate: Click Here
Application Format of EWS Certificate: Click Here